Editor's Note: Download the audio version below and click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
This week, Kyle Loucks, founder of RollPros, joins the Cannabis Equipment News podcast to discuss the process behind building a better automated cannabis pre-roll machine.
Kyle Loucks has been a cannabis user for more than 20 years, and he said it's helped him approach his creative endeavors with a new perspective.
While earning his engineering degree and becoming a product designer, he said it was cannabis that helped him see whatever design challenges he was facing in a new light. So it's not surprising that Loucks turned his cannabis inspiration into his company, RollPros, which builds automated cannabis pre-roll machines.
When cannabis was first legalized in Loucks' home state of Washington, he said he ran out to get his first commercial pre-roll. But he described the experience as a big letdown, and said the pre-roll "burned like crap." Loucks could tell the material was dried out since it burned so hot and there was hardly any flavor.
Loucks was determined to find a better way to make a pre-roll. He went down several paths until he found his way back to a hand-rolling concept that led to a prototype and, eventually, to his company's flagship machine.
In this episode, Loucks discusses:
- How cannabis has helped him solve design challenges (1:00)
- His first pre-roll machine prototype (3:35)
- Conflicts between hand-rolled joints and ones produced by machines (5:49)
- His experience designing medical devices (9:50)
- The cannabis patents he holds (13:57)
- Building one of the first pre-roll machines that doesn't require pre-made cones (15:16)
- Why he questions some paper mills (17:52)
- Pushing a paradigm shift in pre-rolls (22:30)
- RollPros' new DrawCheck machine (29:08)
- The machines he's working on next (31:39)
- His advice for perspective cannabis entrepreneurs (33:37)
Please make sure to like, subscribe and share the podcast. You could also help us out by giving the podcast a positive review. Finally, to email the podcast or suggest a potential guest, you can reach David Mantey at [email protected].